Anyway, I was trying to emulate my friend, Dede Willingham's work with pencils over top of acrylics bases and backgrounds. As you may also recall, I detest acrylics (for gobs of reasons which I will not go into at the moment! lol) and was trying to find an alternative underpainting to that medium. So, I did an experiment using plain old copy paper.
My test medium pencils include:
- FC Polychromos 120 set,
- Lyra Rembrandt 36 set,
- Prismacolour Premiere 36 set and
- Caran D'Ache Luminance assorted pencils (this latest is the brand I use for Caucasian facial tones as they are my preferred choice of colours).
For underpainting mediums, I used:
- Sai Watercolour Brushes
- Koi Watercolour Brushes
- Caran d'Ache Neocolour II's
- Derwent Inktense
- Stabilo Markers
- Pro-Art Markers
The Pencil test results were actually shocking to me.
- Luminance were the most happy and did what one might expect - their ability to add details and shading, highlighting were spot on.
- Prismacolour was second in that they offered some struggles but overall, they were quite accommodating.
- Rembrandts struggled and really made me work for the results.
- Polychromos were not in the slightest bit happy -- and I fought tooth and nail as they are my all time favourite pencils! :(
- The cheapie Pro-Art Marker set - 100 colours for under $20 at Amazon (now sold under a different name but the exact same product!) were the happiest to play nicely with any of the pencils! No matter what I wanted to do, they were like "SURE - let's do it!" lol
- The Stabilo were also happy but occasionally gave me the odd stink eye during play. O.o
- The Sai and Koi watercolour brushes were kind of like -- omgosh, really?!? O.O -- testy little goobers.
- Inktense was a full grudge under the Sai and Koi's attitudes.
- Neocolour II's were like -- getouttahere !!! -- Hokey smokes I was shocked at their outright defiant attitude!
Dede obviously has the smart approach with the acrylics! But, since I'm still not remotely fond of that medium, I'll haul out my Pro-Arts and play then! :p
My next series of tests will be to change up the paper and see how that impacts these very same mediums.
Get Out There & Be Creative For ME Please!!